Antiwar movements

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri Oct 19 01:31:28 PDT 2001

> A friend of mine - who is no fan of the bombing - had a long chat
> with an Afghan living in NYC the other day. His wife and kids are
> still in Kabul, along with the rest of his family. She asked him what
> he thought of the bombing. He said he supported it. She asked him
> about civilian casualties. He said that people are dying every day in
> Afghanistan, and if the U.S. campaign brought down the Taliban, the
> civilian deaths would be worth it. That makes me very queasy, but
> that's what he said.
>
> Doug

Here in Moscow there are a lot of Afghan refugees -- we interviewed a passle of them recently. None of them are in favor of the US attack (none we spoke with anyway). They're pissed at Bin Laden, who's not even an Afghan national, for bringing further destruction upon their country, at the US for attacking and having funded Bin Laden and the muj in the first place, and at Russia for stopping economic aid when the USSR pulled out.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal