Doug asked, what is to be done?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 19 13:26:39 PDT 2001

Chuck Grimes says:

>5) Assuming that a response is necessary, then by default, the US
>government has to engage in the random slaughter and destruction of
>war in the hope that local officials will turn over the suspects when
>those quasi-official groups determine they can no longer endure the
>de-stabilizing effects of the killing and destruction.
>
>But these are issues and difficulties for the Empire to consider. I
>have no reason to assume or serve the needs and interests of the US
>government and its Empire, since the government has shown absolutely
>no interest in serving my needs as a citizen.
>
>Under the Social Contract theory of governance, the primary obligation
>of government is to provide for the security and protection of its
>people. Thus, the US government has abrogated its social contract
>twice in less than a year: first by disenfranchising a majority of its
>voters, and second by failing to protect and secure people under its
>governance from massive and grievous harm. Soon, if the government can
>manage it, it will add to this list by denying people under its
>protection some measure of their civil rights, due process, and habeas
>corpus in the name of protection which it has shown itself to be
>incapable of providing.

Right you are. The governing elite of the USA are not just criminals but criminally incompetent. If there were an organized Left with a mass movement in the USA, it would be time for us to rise up, take back sovereignty, & practice self-government, as the current rulers are incapable of ruling even by capitalist standards, let alone serving interests of the masses by social democratic standards. As things stand now, we do not have any organized Left to speak of, and a mass movement is only in its incipient form. We need to expand the movement & build up the organized Left, so, (hopefully) in a couple of decades, we'll be in a position to do what we are entitled to do now. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>