Experimental & Fallibilistic Re: Operation Enduring Protest

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 19 11:59:42 PDT 2001

>I agree. But for a revolutionary idea to take hold even among a committed
>minority, it has to have some visceral appeal. The rightness of the
>abolitionist stance was obvious at least to some people at the time, and
>they risked and sacrificed their lives for it. The "Don't Even Bother to
>Fight Terrorists, We're All Fucked" program lacks that sort of resonance.
>
>Liza

"Fight Terrorists" -- you mean literally? Who is going to "fight terrorists"? You, Doug, Kelley, Mark Naison, Katrina vanden Heuvel, etc. (Cf. Rick Perlstein, "Left Falls Apart as Center Holds," at <http://www.observer.com/pages/frontpage1.asp>)? Or the U.S. government with its reactionary allies? NATO? The U.N.? Where are you gonna "fight terrorists"? Only in Afghanistan? Pakistan? Saudi Arabia? Kuwait? Egypt? Sudan? Algeria?

In any case, if the emergent anti-war movement doesn't look attractive to you, start a new one yourself, with your own political program -- then we'll be able to see if your program is more appealing to Americans than the anti-war movement's. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

experimentally & fallibilistically yours,

-- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>