Pollitt column

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Oct 19 14:44:00 PDT 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 hncl at panix.com wrote:

> We could drag bin Laden out of a cave, put him on trial in Manhattan for
> the murder of everyone who died in the Trade Center, and have him be the
> first person that New York executes under our bright shiny new death
> penalty, and neither have eliminated the threat of terror or brought to
> justice anyone who enabled the 9/11 hijackers to do their filthy work.

The more I think about this, the more structuralist I get. Taking out Bin Laden to "fight terrorism" is kinda like shooting Bill Gates to fight capitalism. They are not autonomous agents; they are the perfectly predictable products of a certain constellation of political and economic relations. "Bin Laden, trager": Now how's that for a rallying cry?

Miles