Pollitt column

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Oct 19 16:54:59 PDT 2001

Miles Jackson wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 hncl at panix.com wrote:
>
> > We could drag bin Laden out of a cave, put him on trial in Manhattan for
> > the murder of everyone who died in the Trade Center, and have him be the
> > first person that New York executes under our bright shiny new death
> > penalty, and neither have eliminated the threat of terror or brought to
> > justice anyone who enabled the 9/11 hijackers to do their filthy work.
> >

> The more I think about this, the more structuralist I get. Taking out
> Bin Laden to "fight terrorism" is kinda like shooting Bill Gates to
> fight capitalism. They are not autonomous agents; they are the
> perfectly predictable products of a certain constellation of
> political and economic relations. "Bin Laden, trager": Now
> how's that for a rallying cry?

This is why anarchists abandoned "propaganda by the deed" nearly a century ago. You can take out any one asshole in any given system of power, but another one will soon take their place. Bill Gates, Osama bin Laden, Henry Frick, President McKinley, neighborhood drug kingpin: different faces of the same coin.

Chuck0 Infoshop.org