Note to the "ladder of force left"

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Oct 19 19:20:10 PDT 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 22:11:21 -0400 Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes:
> >Lou Paulsen wrote:
> >
> >>On this list there seems to be a relatively high proportion of
> people whom,
> >>in relation to this war, I would classify as belonging to the
> "ladder of
> >>force left".
> >
> >A bunch of people that have demonstrated themselves capable of
> >stunning acts of violence have resolved to kill lots of Americans.
> >That would include you, Yoshie, Carrol, even Lou Proyect. There's
> no
> >class warrior exemption (actually they don't like Communists very
> >much, so American Communists are doubly doomed). Does this bother
> >you at all? Or are you willing to take a spore for the anti-empire?
> >
> >Doug
>
> I've been mugged by a black man, but I'm against the "war on
> crimes,"
> racial profiling, etc. There's no class warrior exemption from the
> point of view of muggers, robbers, rapists, drive-by shooters, etc.
> So?

Well perhaps Doug thinks that Americans are entitled to an exemption from the sorts of politically motivated violence that afflict much of the rest of the world including the kinds of violence that is perpetrated directly or indirectly by the US. Actually, if Yogi, Carol, Lou and perhaps even Doug if they had been Chileans back in 1973 would most likely have been murdered by Pinochle's thugs (at the behest of the US). It is true that up to quite recently, Americans have indeed largely been exempt from such violence but why anyone including the great Doug Hen wood should have expected this exemption to continue in perpetuity is quite beyond me. To expect that any great power can perpetrate great acts of violence against the citizens of other countries without this eventually having some very detrimental consequences for the citizens (no matter how innocent those citizens may be in themselves) of that great power is to defy what lessons there are to be drawn from history.

Jim F.