Churchill

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Sat Oct 20 07:42:31 PDT 2001

Hi again Kel,

>would you bitch at art mcgee for failing to talk about the joys of black
>culture and the solidarity and wonderfulness that he can participate in by
>virtue of his blackness?

I think if Art did read my response at the time, he'd agree I did bitch at him. I didn't want to come across as bitching (and why isn't that word deemed sexist, anyway?) in either case (not being set against anti-racist and feminist movements), but I think I've been consistent, whatever I was doing.

>i have actually already adressed your crits. a feminist critique does
>address the fact that men are burdened too. this is very old new, a decade,
>at least,

As I allowed, as indeed I said, good on it.

>and it should go without saying, particularly if you're using a
>sociological feminism.

Well, you said it, and so did I. Importantly relevant stuff that's conventional wisdom in one's own field, might not be as widely known in others; a point you've made yourself at times. So I was questioning where you put the stress in your piece (to help bring out the above point), and (hopefully not too annoyingly) making a point about tone.

We're running a bit hot here at the moment, I reckon.

Cheers, Rob.