Muggings (was: Re: Note to the "ladder of force left"

Lou Paulsen wwchi at enteract.com
Sat Oct 20 09:18:06 PDT 2001

-----Original Message----- From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>ravi wrote:
>>
>> since you did get mugged, i
>> assume you support some form of response
>
>Yoshie can respond for herself, but I note that you overlook a
>distinction here that Justin and I exchanged contrary opinions on. Were
>I _being_ mugged, I would welcome whatever interference (including
>shooting the motherfucker between the eyes) might stop the mugging.
>_After_ the mugging, unless I needed an official report for insurance
>reasons or there was very substantial probability of recovering lost
>items, I would not be in favor of any response whatever.

This actually came up a few years back with one of our comrades in Milwaukee, a middle-aged white woman. The police stopped the mugging, after which she refused to testify against the guy (an African-American youth without prospects) when they brought him to trial. The judge threatened to sentence her for contempt.

Lou Paulsen member, Workers World Party, Chicago www.workers.org