Doug asked, what is to be done?

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sat Oct 20 09:13:48 PDT 2001

Sure, dead, he's a martyr. But alive, he's a cause.

Robb Schaap

Ah, but alive, makes it possible to endlessly alter and erase the past. For example Charles Manson is still around, I think. Now he appears as some thing out of a bad movie---an absurdity, a sick joke. Think of some other people that are still alive and everyone pretends they're dead---Reagan for example.

That's the point to keep big time assholes alive---to erase them over and over. I mean we are discussing the lesser of two evils, right? Better a cause that can be argued, scorned, humilated, offered up to endless derision, and commodification than a dead martyr fixed at the point of death, for all time. Besides, he wants to die. Better then to keep him alive in order to deny him. And a cause that can forever be the subject of dirt-diviners and sticky slanders.

How about obl halloween outfits? I guess its too early for that. Maybe next year. I trust US consumer media on this. Interviews with the ex-wives, scandal rags with exposes of the sex-slave trade and drugs---the means to trivialization are bottomless.

Chuck Grimes