Note to the "ladder of force left"

ravi gadfly at home.com
Sat Oct 20 09:30:36 PDT 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

> ravi wrote:
>
>> since you did get mugged, i
>>assume you support some form of response
>>

> Yoshie can respond for herself, but I note that you overlook a
> distinction here that Justin and I exchanged contrary opinions on. Were
> I _being_ mugged, I would welcome whatever interference (including
> shooting the motherfucker between the eyes) might stop the mugging.
> _After_ the mugging, unless I needed an official report for insurance
> reasons or there was very substantial probability of recovering lost
> items, I would not be in favor of any response whatever.

ok, i see your point, and i kind of followed tha analogy blindly. here is my attempt to rescue my argument: what if the mugger also says "i am going to follow you to your house and then beat up your kids"?

i found your other response (to doug?) rather compelling if i read it correctly to mean that any action in response to 9/11, especially a unilateral military one (that is my addition i guess) will only make things worse.

--ravi