Operation Enduring Protest

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 20 09:36:31 PDT 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Can't you for get the public just for (say) five minutes to do a
>_little_ bit of thinking about the world without first consulting
>opinion polls. Since when do opinion polls consitute The Truth About the
>World.

No, can't - I'm utterly whorish and vulgar. Now the truth can be told.

>You are not replying to Lou Proyect here. You have some obligation
>simply to look at reality, not at reality as reflected through headlines
>and opinion polls. So far you have refused adamantly to say anything at
>all about what you think.

An issue of LBO is in the mail, with about 7,000 words on what I think. I believe a copy should arrive in your mailbox shortly. I can't give everything away for free.

As for my "considerable use of force," I think it would come after a thorough investigation of who did what. That would include police-style investigations of the sort going on around the world right now, internationally coordinated. If and when the truth were uncovered, I think some force, under UN auspices, would have to capture the perps and maybe displace the Taliban. That could be messy, a point that a lot of cops-and-courts partisans don't talk about. When I asked David McReynolds about that, he conceded that was the "sore point" of his position. Is this imperialist? In some sense, I guess it is, but it would be good. I'm also sympathetic to China's efforts to throw off the theocrats in Tibet, and a good bit of me wishes the Soviets had won their Afghan war. Is that imperialist too?

Doug