Operation Enduring Protest

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 20 09:45:26 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

>Is that imperialist too?

Sent that off before I was finished.

I absolutely agree that the only long-term approach to "eliminating terrorism" (and that was a weird analogy with Alzheimer's, Carrol - since when is a social phenomenon analogous to a natural one?) would be for the U.S. to pull back from its empire. The polite way I put that in my letter to the NY Observer is changing U.S. policy, but I know exactly what I mean by that, and it means some pretty radical stuff - ending support for Israel, the House of Saud, the Iraqi embargo, etc. Clearly that can't happen overnight, or even by 2005, but "we" - the left, progressives, peaceniks (I know how you love that word, Carrol, I chose it just for you), "Seattle" - have to push in that direction. I know it's terribly vulgar of me to point to something as vulgar as public opinion, but empire isn't very popular with the vulgar American public, so at least that task isn't hopeless, vulgarly speaking.

Doug