After they win...

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 20 23:27:06 PDT 2001

>From: Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org>
>
>I do not actually agree that the 5,000 killed in the WTC were totally
>innocent, in that they, like most inhabitants of the rich imperialist
>countries, are institutionally blind to the urgent need for global economic
>justice. But in legal terms they were of course wholly innocent ...

That's the problem with US society, Chris. It makes you feel more like an accessory than a citizen. However, your statement above shows, at best, a tin ear for public sensibilities. It is of course easy to scoff at the articles that have appeared in the press profiling WTC victims; every single profile depicts an individual who lived an almost saintly life. But journalistic accuracy isn't the point of those profiles; they're intended to honor individuals (flawed, certainly, as everyone is) who suffered brutal deaths and left many bereaved survivors behind. I think we too should make an effort to pay those victims respect.

Carl