Aussie Woodchip Folk Music

Brenda Rosser shelter at tassie.net.au
Sat Oct 20 23:25:52 PDT 2001

Living in and around the devastation of Australia's woodchip industry requires an anthem for the folks out on the street and in the forests protesting. Australia's folks singer John Dengate's CD (available online) is worth purchasing. Good music and good lyrics. Here's my favourite:

copyright to poet Denis Kevans

THE WOODCHIP MAN Denis Kevans

(chorus) Please give your forests to the woodchip man He's got a factory in old Japan "He turns them into Kleenex Uncle Bill" "He's doing it for Australia you dill"

My Aunty Lill went to Japan She abused the woodchip man The woodchip man he says "ah jeez You can't see the woodchips for the trees"

(chorus)

Bielkie invested in the reefs destruction Saying "crush up the coral for road construction rig up the derricks on the barrier reef" the minds of such people are beyond belief

(chorus)

For thousands of years the Karri has stood Reclaiming dry land and making it good but we don't need forests to cure our souls we need them to wrap our Chiko rolls

(chorus)

When the forests have gone to the factory and the woodchips higher than the blue gum tree We'll have the paper from old Japan All sing the praises of the woodchip man

(chorus)

When the forests have gone to the factory To be turned into paper for the lavatory I wont complain I wont be glum I just rip off my heritage and wipe my bum

(chorus) copyright to poet Denis Kevans