After they win...

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Oct 20 16:41:20 PDT 2001

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Chip Berlet wrote:

> I do not support priapic US-run military overreaction, but somewhat
> like Doug Henwood, I support a UN-run police action.

You mean like Korea?

The UN has no capacity to wage war. It can only give its seal of approval to wars undertaken by states -- as it has here.

It is however exactly the right instrument for attempting to broker the formation of a new government among competing factions, both internal and external. And if it accomplishes that hugely difficult task here, which it might, it will be an enormous and salutary expansion of its mandate.

Michael