On the ground updates from Bethlehem

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Sat Oct 20 23:02:18 PDT 2001

A good friend of mine who lives in Bethlehem sent me an e-mail this morning. I thought a portion of it was good for on the ground general information about what is going on there in the last days. The second section is a letter that he attached from an acquaintance of his (a Christian Chaplain) who sends out first hand info on what is happening there:

>From a friend of mine who lives in Bethlehem:

"...the Israeli "Defense Forces" have come into Bethlehem a little bit beyond their (my friends in-laws) building on Manger Street. Five cars that were parked on the street have been completely destroyed by the tanks, such a defensive action. A guy that we know was shot and killed when he was coming out of the Nativity Church. He used to work there cleaning, he was trying to get home after finishing his work, the Israelis must be using some pretty serious scopes if they are hitting people coming out of the Nativity. Another two Christians were killed in Beit Jala. One was a twenty-one year old mother of three who stuck her head out a window. What was that you always said about the Israelis never wanting to go back into Bethlehem? Sharon is a true maniac..."

This is from a Chaplain he knows who writes updates:

This will be a brief note to give you a glimpse into the events which we have experienced here in the Bethlehem area in the last 41 hours.

I was walking home for the church on Thursday evening a little after 6:00 pm, when friends pulled up in their car to let me know that Israeli forces has just assassinated 3 Fatah activist on a road between Bethlehem and Beit Sahour, evidently through a phone-detonated bomb in a car. This helped explained the sense of hurry in the market, as people were quickly closing their stores and Palestinian security forces were beginning to assemble in the streets.

Within about an hour the first gunshots in the air began as men gathered at the hospital in Beit Jala where the bodies had been taken. By 10:00 pm, a heavy engagement with Israeli forces had begun. Israeli tanks were on the move into the city very quickly, which means the Israelis were poised and ready for such an action. As they had entered parts of Ramallah, Jenin and Al Bireh the night before, this was not a surprise. All night long Palestinian gunfire responded to Israeli machine guns, tanks shells and helicopter machine guns.

I have to say that with the sound of the helicopters approaching came a major adrenalin rush, as my own body seemed to remember the last time they were in the neighborhood a missile was fired over my house, exploding into the market one block away.

About an hour later, Israeli air force jets began a slow fly over of Bethlehem. It was impossible not to hold one's breath, waiting for the sound of an explosion of a bomb being dropped. Rationally, I thought to myself, "Surely, they can't drop a bomb here; there isn't enough open space. They'd kill so many people." And luckily, they didn't drop one -- this time.

At 3:00 am I could hear gun and tank fire nearby and then the sound of glass shattering in our neighborhood. It was a long night in much of the area as no sleep was possible.

As daylight broke the phone began to ring as people checked in with each other and to discover what we could about the situation. Israeli tanks had entered Bethlehem, coming down both Manger Street and Hebron Road. They had come into Beit Jala from beyond Talitha Cumi School and from Aida Refugee Camp. They had come into the south and were poised on a hill south of the Church of the Nativity.

The tanks came as far as the Bethlehem Hotel on Manger Road and near the Women's Dorm for Bethlehem University on Hebron Road. People in the Bible College in Bethlehem talked about how the tanks had rumbled down the street in the middle of the night.

Firing from Palestinians and from Israeli forces continued throughout the day. Very few people moved. It was too dangerous for those in most neighborhoods to leave the relative safety of homes. Although by late in the afternoon, homes were not safe either, as 3 Palestinians were killed by Israeli fire in their own homes, one woman (age 25) was killed in El Khader, one youth (age 19) was killed in Beit Jala and one man (age 25) was killed in Aida Refugee Camp.

Around 6:00 pm, more tanks entered Beit Jala, again coming down the main road from the hill above, stopping in the neighborhood by the Orthodox Club.

The tanks began to move again in the Bethlehem area around 8 pm last night and they began sending shells into new areas in Bethlehem. Around 9:30 pm, it became extremely quiet. In different areas through the night, one could here a few eruptions of gunfire and then a loud explosion, evidently the tanks firing. But, it was possible to grab a few hours of sleep, unlike the night before.

By this morning - the IDF has taken 2 hotels, possibly a 3rd in Bethlehem. The newly constructed Intercontinental Hotel on Hebron Road and the Paradise Hotel on Manger Road were occupied yesterday by Israeli forces. News this morning is that they also have now taken the Bethlehem Hotel, which is about 1/2 kilometer (1/4 mile) beyond the Paradise Hotel. Around 9:30 this morning, a friend at the checkpoint said 3 new tanks were rolling into Bethlehem.

Currently, there is no way in or out of Bethlehem, Beit Jala, Beit Sahour or El Khader. No cars can enter or exit as the roads are blocked by tanks. As of this morning still, no one is allowed through on foot, although a couple of foreigners have made their way through Tantur, at great risk however.

All stores, except for the pharmacies and bread stores, are closed today in memorial of the three Palestinians killed yesterday. All schools are closed for the safety of the children. There are a few more people on the street today, but very few. As I made the decision to leave the house and get to the church to send this, shooting began again.

The Israelis have said they will stay "until 'it' is completed." Although "it" is not defined and so one can only guess what that means. The IDF has sent numerous tanks (evidently around 30 into Bethlehem area alone) into all major Palestinian population centers in the West Bank but Jericho and the Palestinian-controlled section of Hebron.

And the world has remained silent. The US has said little more than "these actions are not helpful," which translates into a green light to Prime Minister Sharon.

Friends, we are on the verge of a very dangerous situation, where many lives could be lost. As Sharon on given Arafat a 7-day ultimatum, to 'hand over' suspects in the assassination of Ze'evi, and as Arafat can certainly arrest and try them but never hand them over, we could be looking at a veritable blood bath by next Wednesday. Israeli forces are certainly in a position now to carry out attacks across the West Bank and Gaza.

Contact your elected officials and urge them to intercede before more Palestinians and Israelis are killed.

Sincerely, XXXXX

Dear friends,

About an hour ago, I found out that my friend's 15 year old son was killed in Manger Square - Johnny Taljiah. He was just sitting there and was hit by a bullet. He is the 3rd child today in the Bethlehem area which has been killed.

The sounds of helicopters over the city is deafening now. Tank shells are exploding down the street as I write this, making the whole building shake.

An announcement from the minaret has just finished - all citizens are called to remain inside, to try to not be afraid, to stay united in the face of the aggression. The Israeli forces have entered most areas of the city now.

Pray for us tonight - demand action today!

Blessings, XXXXXXXXXXXX

Bryan Atinsky IMC-Israel English Editorial Coordinator http://www.indymedia.org.il -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20011021/81f807e1/attachment.htm>