Sexual Harassment

Lou Paulsen wwchi at enteract.com
Sun Oct 21 05:50:40 PDT 2001

-----Original Message----- From: Rob Schaap <rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>

(A long exchange between Kelley and Rob snipped, in which Rob completely fails to recognize the instances of sexual harassment, which Kelley reports, as problems, beginning with:)

>K: do you have the dean of your school staring at your tits?

>R: Nope, not that all deans do such things, but I don't doubt I could live
>with it just fine.

For the record, Rob, your attitude is quite reprehensible, although probably nothing can be done about it until some more intense time in the struggle when you are happily leering at female subordinates and then suddently find yourself completely surprised when the Women's Committee bursts in, drags you out into the street, ties you to a lamppost, strips you naked, smears you with dog dung, and threatens to cut your balls off. Some men just require that kind of individualized intervention to make them pay attention.

(At this point Rob replies "Ooh! Stripped naked by women! I hope they're lookers! Let me know in advance so I can put on some nice scent!" )

If anyone has thought of a less extreme way to alter men's attitudes on the sexual harassment question, preferably some argument that works in e-mails, I would love to know about it. This is a real being-determines-consciousness issue. Until the being gets a kick in the arse, the consciousness does not improve :-(

lp