Sexual Harassment

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Sun Oct 21 05:40:08 PDT 2001

Ah, so LBO is to have a feeding frenzy is it.

>For the record, Rob, your attitude is quite reprehensible, although probably
>nothing can be done about it until some more intense time in the struggle
>when you are happily leering at female subordinates ...

And where do you get the idea I leer at anyone? I was trying to get at human frailty, tolerance and mercy - trying to talk about the danger of 'blacks' and 'whites' in a grey world - trying to square what I see about me with the theory - trying to argue not everything is part of a neat static whole - trying to feel something for the sad old man as much as the people his sad old ways hurt. I don't leer at, bully, exploit or harass anybody.

I sometimes misunderstand things, it seems - especially when the particular instance I casually inquire about and pass an opinion upon turns out to be a lived part of something a whole lot bigger. They aren't always you see. That was the cheery point I was trying to make.

>If anyone has thought of a less extreme way to alter men's attitudes on the
>sexual harassment question, preferably some argument that works in e-mails,
>I would love to know about it. This is a real
>being-determines-consciousness issue. Until the being gets a kick in the
>arse, the consciousness does not improve :-(

Enjoy that hanging-judge thrill, eh?

Cheers, Rob.