Sexual Harassment

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 22 02:32:34 PDT 2001

Stephen E Philion > --Dworkin's alligning with gentrifiers in US cities and cluster bombers
> in Yugoslavia says enough about her type of feminism.

I have no truck with Andrea Dworkin's anti-porn "cultural radical feminist essentialism" either in theory or practice (the Minneapolis anti-porn ordinance she co-authored with C. Mackinnon) but where did she author or sign any statements for the NATO bombings of Serbia?

Steve, you mixed up Ward Churchill and Dennis Means last week. Mixing up Mackinnon (who did edit an anthology on Rape in war-time Bosnia from '92-"95) and Dworkin this week? And, insinuating that Mackinnon and/or Dworkin because of earlier stand on Bosnia were Hawkish on Serbia in "99? Michael Pugliese

http://www.xs4all.nl/~freeserb/comments/2001/e-a08052001.html One of the more absurd theories is a thesis of radical American feminist Andrea Dworkin that sex between a man and a woman is always rapist in nature, because woman is always in a subjugated position in the society - economically, politically, physically.

Serbia suffers from the other extreme, which in some concrete cases achieves hideous proportions. It has become a widespread practice that rape crimes receive the mildest possible sentences. Mirjana Kovacevic cites an example of a girl who had been molested by her father. After the trial, the father was ruled guilty for incest, but not for rape. Apparently, the Serbian judicial authorities reckon that the 12-year-old girl must have desired the sexual act with her father. Kovacevic and Djokic point out that marital rape is widespread in our society, and that all these issues need to be criminalized as soon as possible. "I'm afraid that we'll have catechism in schools before our society grasps the idea of basic human rights and sets them as priorities," says Mirjana Kovacevic.