different wars

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Oct 22 15:45:10 PDT 2001

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Carl Remick wrote:
>
> >I find your position fully compatible with the fog of war, Doug,
> >since to me it seems completely ambiguous. You continue to rely on
> >coy language. Re your acknowledgement of a "very messy operation,"
> >as I asked before, just how many civilian casualties are you willing
> >to countenance in the OBL manhunt?
>
> How many are you willing to countenance in a non-manhunt? 5,000 not
> enough? 10,000? 1,000,000?
>
> Doug

Careful, guys; this is the point on the merry-go-round where Brad D. decided to get off. (Funny how we were grappling with the same moral dilemma a month and thousands of posts ago, in the same terms.) It seems pretty clear there is no high moral ground here, is there? Every solution I can conceive of leads to more innocent people dying somewhere.

Just thought I'd cheer you up.

Miles