different wars

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 22 23:13:09 PDT 2001

>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>I find your position fully compatible with the fog of war, Doug,
>>since to me it seems completely ambiguous. You continue to rely on
>>coy language. Re your acknowledgement of a "very messy operation,"
>>as I asked before, just how many civilian casualties are you willing
>>to countenance in the OBL manhunt?
>
>How many are you willing to countenance in a non-manhunt? 5,000 not
>enough? 10,000? 1,000,000?
>
>Doug

It's not an all obvious to me that the non-manhunt approach will produce the wildly escalating US civilian casualties you seem to envision. I think it's at least as likely that our continuing military intervention in Afghanistan will do that -- as civilian deaths there mount and anti-American feelings grow, winning converts to the OBL jihad globally.

Anyhow, once again, what are your limits for collateral damage in Afghanistan?

Carl