Note to the "ladder of force left"

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Tue Oct 23 11:02:55 PDT 2001

Kel:

> if someone is
> legitimately wanted by the sizzlean for having just committed a crime and
> he takes refuge with his grandmother, then if the grandmother drags out
the
> shotgun and refuses to let the ssizzlean in, starts screaming out the
> window at the pigs, and takes a couple of potshots, well...? or, even if
> granny doesn't get her gun and just refuses to turn him over, she ought to
> be kept from harm but, at that point, she's a criminal and no longer
innocent.

Fine and good, but does this really relate to the present case? What if Granny asks the cops for evidence that her grandson is guilty of the crime, and if so, she says she'll hand him over? Now, she may be playing for time or otherwise lying, but since the grandson is cornered, and Granny has no real desire to be blown into a million pieces, there's a chance she's on the level, regardless how foul a person she is. Do the cops say, "Fuck you! We don't need to show you jack!" and storm the house? And while the cops are attacking Granny, they manage to destroy half the neighborhood as well. Justice?

DP