Will this work?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 24 13:49:48 PDT 2001

Max Sawicky wrote:

>This is well-argued. There may be a job waiting for you
>with the Bland Corporation. But I think you stumble at the
>end . . .
>
>NO political leader could be expected to
>suffer an attack such as 9/11 and immediately
>begin to negotiate with the attacker. And the
>U.S. doesn't even have a political leader, unless
>it's bill o'reilly.

Hey, he's my hero.

But what would be negotiated exactly? ObL & Co. want the U.S. out of the Middle East. That basically means disengagement from a major outpost of Empire, and the cutting loose of one of Washington's most important sub-hegemons, Israel. As much as just about everyone on this list would like to see this result, it seems pretty fanciful to me that the U.S. would even begin to negotiate over demands like this. Am I missing something?

Doug