Negri interview

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 16:06:29 PDT 2001

<<It's this proposition, which derives from nothing and leads to nothing, which makes me think that _Empire_ is too frivolous to be worth a critique.>>

Carrol, Have you even read the book?

Just asking...I notice many of the staunchest critics, seem to be the ones who either haven't read it at all or have just perused it...I am sure that Negri would apologize to you for not coming up with something more to your liking, such as "political power grows from the barrel of the gun" or other easy to grasp concepts.

-Thomas

Thomas --- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
> > [Negri speaking]
> > What must be done? "Exodus", withdraw from the
> > debate, desert, desert to the end: work, war,
> knowledge. That means
> > building up another life which is not that of
> these 'messieurs', the
> > talibans of the dollar and the talibans of oil.
>
> It's this proposition, which derives from nothing
> and leads to nothing,
> which makes me think that _Empire_ is too frivolous
> to be worth a
> critique. Actually, Doug made exactly the same
> critique of it (on Pen-L
> I think). I forget his exact words, but at the end
> of his post he spoke
> of a lack of concreteness in the sections of
> _Empire_ proposing what to
> do. I don't see how that lack of concreteness can
> conceivably be
> remedied. It wasn't a stylistic fault in the book;
> it was an unfillable
> hole in the entire worldview from which the book
> flowed. And it is
> impossible (as well as rather silly) to critique an
> absence.
>
> Carrol

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx