Burch Goes Hitch

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Thu Oct 25 08:13:24 PDT 2001

> Unlike her, though, Hitch didn't support the Soviets in Afghanistan,
> right (a position that looks wiser by the day)?
>
> Doug

Not to my knowledge. But Cockburn did -- " . . . if ever a country deserved rape, it's Afghanistan." Given the current madness and mood, I don't know why more supporters of the Soviet invasion haven't piped up to say, "See? What did we tell you? You're finishing the job we started." But then, as Rob S. pointed out, the Red Army inflamed the locals, so there's the chicken-and-egg (though never roosting) argument to consider. But then again, had the CIA not pumped so much money into the resistance, perhaps bin Laden and friends would never have triumphed.

DP