lbo-talk-digest V1 #5145

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Thu Oct 25 13:18:51 PDT 2001

You're a bit behind. The top item on the National Security Council's list of threats was Islamic fundamentalism, until recently. Now it's corruption. The PKK fell off the top 10 chart some time after Ocalan's trial. A good indicator is the fact that martial law is being gradually lifted in the southeast and villagers are being allowed to return to what was once the war zone.

After the PKK we had a bout of fundamentalist terror here but it was mainly a case of Afghanis doing atrocious things to each other. The police, with their usual methods, mopped them up. Now the main items on the agenda are getting foreign loans to avert economic collapse and EU membership. Jumping on the Bush bandwagon is considered to be good for both these things.

Hakki Alacakaptan Istanbul, Turkey

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Michael Pugliese Subject: Re: lbo-talk-digest V1 #5145

Thiago Oppermann >...The comment about Turkey should get a footnote. Aren't there some reasons why it is so happy about this new war on terror that have little to do with Islamic fundamentalist? I thought their main concern was rather with the PKK.

My sense is that the capture and trial of Occalan has greatly diminished the fighting capacity of the PKK. http://burn.ucsd.edu/~ats/PKK/pkk.html http://www.ataa.org/ataa/ref/pkk.html http://www.ataa.org/ataa/ref/pkk/articles/whoisocalan.html Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) Dudley Knox Library, Terrorist Group Profiles. Dudley Knox Library Naval Postgraduate School. ... Terrorism Resources. Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK). ... http://web.nps.navy.mil/~library/tgp/kurds.htm PKK TERRORISM Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ankara December 1998 http://www.turkey.org/apo-pkk/pkktitle.htm Michael Pugliese