Jet diverted

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 26 16:28:14 PDT 2001

This is just about 70 miles from me. I heard that sniffer dogs were on the scene and that the passengers were taken away in handcuffs. No idea what is up.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

Jet headed to Washington diverted to Manitoba

Canadian Press

Brandon, Man. - An American executive jet was sitting on an airport tarmac surrounded by police Friday after being diverted from its Washington D.C., destination, authorities said.

John Christinsen, Brandon airport manager, said he was told by Winnipeg air traffic control the flight, which originated in Japan, was "squawking wrong" - meaning there were unusual radio transmissions.

The Gulfstream jet registered to AOL Time-Warner, the American media and entertainment conglomerate. The plane landed at the airfield located about 200 kilometres west of Winnipeg shortly after 3:00 pm local time.

Witnesses said 10 to 12 RCMP and Brandon city police cars, including an emergency response team, had surrounded the plane. The doors of the aircraft were open but no one was visible.

Police said there were six passengers and four crew aboard. Their nationalities were unknown.

No one initially boarded or left the plane. Police were in radio contact, however.

The jet had previously landed in Anchorage, Alaska, for refuelling.