Sen on gender inequality

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 28 09:24:49 PST 2001

Carl "Half Empty" Remick wrote:

>Ok, so far as it goes. But I suggest substituting "human" for
>"gender" in his following statement:
>
>"... the effects of gender inequality, which can impoverish the
>lives of men as well as women, can be more fully understood by
>taking detailed empirical note of specific forms of inequality that
>can be found in particular regions. Gender inequality hurts the
>interests not only of girls and grown-up women, but also of boys and
>men, through biological connections (such as childhood
>undernourishment and cardiovascular diseases at later ages) and also
>through societal connections (including in politics and in economic
>and social life)."

Most economists, especially Nobel-prize-winning economists, don't give a damn about gender inequality. Sen's made a major point of it. When someone rich in prestige does the right and important thing, I feel more moved to give thanks than to point out his shortcomings.

Besides, a guy who also made a name studying famine has already earned plenty of cred on the human inequality issue.

Doug