Alterman's latest

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sun Oct 28 17:57:51 PST 2001

Doug wrote:
> I'm not surprised. Reducing it to a $500m nonlethal aid program
> misses the political point - Zbiggy & Co. wanted to draw the Soviets
> in.

But Carter apparently had no such inclination, which is counter to what I think Carrol's intimated in the past.

> It's also silly to say that all life involves blowback; of course
> it does, but in this case, our boys funded and trained some wretched
> creeps.

Yes. We're certainly to blame for any additional predictable suffering (which is probably a fair sum) inflicted on the Afghani people as a result. That fact shouldn't make the blowback from this set of actions any more a part of our moral calculus than with any other action. Although it would've been nice if Hitler's mother had never had sex, I don't find her decision to procreate particularly abhorrent.

> Between them and the Russkis, who on this list would choose
> them?

Didn't some leftists choose "them" at the time? Happy to say that I wasn't among them.

> Doug

-- Luke