Alterman's latest

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sun Oct 28 23:21:08 PST 2001

Stephen wrote:
> Steve: Sure, the policy of knowingly supporting terrorists was bad
> enough...

Luke: Absolutely. I'd be disappointed if Alterman didn't also concur.

> Or that people in the anti-"war on terrorism" camp are claiming that there
> is a direct causal relationship, as in , "A-->B ? Gimme a break, that's as
> true as his claim that there's a significant "hate America" left opinion
> that actually shares the Taliban's disdain for things like civil
liberties, social justice
> struggles, etc. etc.

> Steve:
> On this one I pretty certain I'm correct, this is what Alterman wrote in
> the article on Patriotism preceding this most recent one:
>
> "Of course, not everyone on the left concurs. While many nonpatriots share
> an idealistic belief in a kind of cosmopolitan, humanist internationalism,
> some--like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson on the right--really do hate
> this country. These leftists find nothing to admire in its magnificent
> Constitution; its fitful history of struggle toward greater freedom for
> women, minorities and other historically oppressed groups; and its values,
> however imperfectly or hypocritically manifested in everyday life."

Luke: I don't think he's saying that leftists don't admire such things, but rather that they're blind to their presence (no matter how miniscule) in America. That's different than claiming that the left is actually hostile to civil liberties, social justice, etc.

I'd like to compliment you, Stephen. This is one of the more interesting and civil exchanges I've had in a while on LBO, and I'm glad you initiated it.

-- Luke