[Fwd: Re: book: wittgenstein's poker]

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Sun Oct 28 16:10:13 PST 2001

Sounds interesting, ravi. Possibly extending the list-irrelevance, I saw at the bookstore the other day a book called "A Philosophical Investigation"--a "futuristic thriller" with a serial killer who uses the name Wittgenstein.

On the other end of the spectrum (what spectrum I'm not totally sure) economists on the list may have seen advertized this mystery series by two neoclassical economists pen-named "Marshall Jevons" (I think) where they supposedly use stuff like marginal utility and diminishing returns to solve crimes. I've never read one, basically because I fear it will promote a Gary Becker type view that the "[neoclassical] economic way of thinking" applies to all decision making, plus my guess that they are probably poorly written mush.

Somehow related, I've tried to read Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose(?) and another one of his along the same lines a couple times and have never been able to get past the first few pages. They sounded like they would be great but just never has clicked for me, yet.