Negri interview

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Sun Oct 28 18:08:04 PST 2001

Specifically, rhizomatic.

Peter Kosenko (kosenko at netwood.net) wrote on Oct 26 :

>Anyway, here are some other terms to watch out
>for: "mise en abyme" (J. Hillis Miller),
>differance (Derrida), differend (Lyotard). I
>think rhizome and rhizomatic (Deleuze?) have gone
>out of fashion, although pli (fold) might be in,
>given that the man later wrote a whole book about
>it (which I haven't read).

The fairly current 'Empire' owes quite a bit to the concepts and rhetoric of the earlier, conceptually very fruitful Deleuze-Guattari collaboration. Negri cites D-G once--a cool quote about communication and resistance. But then again Negri can be found in D-G's footnotes and sources as well in a book published in the early 80s.

Rhizome and rhizomatic were later used to describe the Internet, so I don't know how out of fashion they are. Nor do I know how current either.

Charles Jannuzi