"anti-trade" movement regroups

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Sun Oct 28 20:05:35 PST 2001

"Peter K." wrote:

> sorry everyone, I accidently sent the NYTimes story before
> I was finished with it. The print edition contains a table that's
> titled "Financing the Fight" and says "Many groups in the
> United States oppose the trend toward unfettered global
> capitalism, including these." The table contains 5 groups:
> Jubilee USA Network (Washington), Jobs with
> Justice (Washington), The Ruckus Society (Berkeley, Calif.),
> Global Exchange (San Francisco), and Institute for Policy
> Studies (Washington). It lists what they're about, their
> revenue, major costs and major donors.

A lengthy piece, yes, but a long way from being comprehensive.

The mainstream and business press seem to be engaged in a concerted campaign to write an obituary for the anti-globalization movement. This recent crop of articles have selectively quoted from "spokespersons" from NGOs and labor unions, with the quotes tailored to the purpose of writing the obituary. The conclusions drawn in these pieces, that the anti-globalization movement has gone on hiatus or gone quiet, bears no resemblance to the actual movement.

I've talked to many activists around the world since 9/11 and I've been told pretty clerly that anti-glob activists are more motivated now than they were before 9/11.

The corporate media nor the Left press have done a very good job of representing the ture nature of the anti-globalization movement. It's sloppy reporting to reduce the movement down to a few organizations, most of whom are bit players in the overall international movement.

I was pretty angry last night when I read this article, because I see a few spokespeople from the reformist wing of the movement speaking for the entire movement, which is increasingly moving away from reformism (many of the NGO reformists are closeted radicals). Stephen Kretzmann argues that "We have to be very Ghandian in our approach." This is an extreme minority position in the movement these days. John Cavanagh also claims that 9/11 "stopped our movement." The 9/11 incidents may have caused movement activists to pause for a few days in North America, but some of us were doing logistical work for movement events within a few days of the 9/11 attacks.

The Anti-Capitalist Convergence changed its plans and conducted an anti-capitalist march against capitalism and the war on September 29. The Mobilization for Global Justice, where many of the Washington reformists hang out, found enough time to have a meeting where it decided not to fight for "global justice," instead opting to protect donor cash flow to NGOs. The role of Global Exchange in this spineless act (which was opposed by most of the rank-and-file non-NGO activists) should be duly noted.

I hadn't seen this table about the 5 groups, but let me say that the argument that the funding that goes through these groups plays a significant role in the anti-globalization movement is false. Much of the movement's activities is funded out of the pockets of activists. These groups may provide money for an event here or there, but the idea that these groups bankroll the movement is simply a right wing fantasy.

If these groups were defunded tomorrow, it would have little impact on the anti-globalization movement.

Chuck0 Anti-Capitalist Convergence - DC