Antiwar movement procustean bed

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 14:33:37 PST 2001

--- Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote: Sectarian squabbling may be
> one of the left's most
> time-honored traditions, but it constitutes rank
> self-indulgence in the face
> of the current challenge.

Carl, I dont know what your background is, but I totally disagree with this. The problem in a lot of cases (and this dates back to my first political involvements as a student during the anti-apartheid movement here in the US) these vanguardist groups will keep the Principles of Unity at a level that allows them to stay in charge of the movement. Whenever anybody raises objections, the whining vanguard butt-whipes yell, "Sectarian"..

So we all have to fit into the procustean bed of the damn Vanguard groups. The 6000 people who died in NYC do not fit in that bed, and so the Vanguardists would have them be forgotten...and those of us who want to remember them have to be chopped down to size in order to fit into the bed.

The truth is that if we put forward the slogan of justice..or at least condemnation of the sobs who killed the folks in the WTC then we would get new forces into the anti-war movement....So what if the vanguardists could not "unite" with that slogan and went away? I would say, "Good Riddance!"...I am really worried at the low turnouts...at that dismal teach-in the other night, there were so few people that the damn sparts were having to sell their paper to the rcp and vice versa.

-Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx