Antiwar movement losing steam?????

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Oct 29 14:55:28 PST 2001

Thomas Seay wrote:

> This is exactly what is happening around here in San
> Francisco. The so-called "vanguard" groups, like
> Workers World Party and others vote down any attempts
> to raise the issue of the terrorists role in this.

No surprise.

> Quite frankly, I support attempts to split away from
> the WWPs (and other "vanguard" led) coalitions. I
> think in the long-run it will draw more forces to the
> anti-war movement...r

I know that Thomas and I are in broad agreement on this. I think the criticism we've raised among East Coast anti-glob groups has helped activists steer clear of the IAC/WWP/ANSWER quagmire. These splits may seem unhealthy in the short term, but I think in the longer run, larger and more effective anti-war coalitions will develop. I get a sense that there is alot of anti-war activism going on out there, but it just isn't visible yet. I think one thing that the folks on this list could do to help the activists in the trenches is to develop some good messages. The articles and essays coming from the Left press have been great, but we need some help in this complex situation.

> The antiwar movement needs to march forward and over
> these vanguard groups.

Amen. ;-)

Time to stuff what remains of them into the dustbin of history.

Chuck0