Antiwar movement losing steam?????

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 30 10:03:21 PST 2001

Justin Schwartz wrote:

> Far as I can tell we are doing OK in Chicago. Had a demo, about 400, this
> Sat. We have two warring coalitions, rad and religious, but that's normal.

Not only normal but probably desirable. Mass movements usually reflect not coalitions but coalitions of coalitions, and they don't blossom over night. The "first" meeting of anything (political or non-political) is usually larger than the next few -- sometimes the drop can be precipitous. That gives a sense both of the available core and of the immediately available constituency. We're too small a locality for warring coalitions from the git-go, so the various poles will have to evolve within the single group -- which is large enough to allow for such.

Carrol