Alterman's latest

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Oct 29 18:13:38 PST 2001

> ---But wasn't the onus on Alterman to provide us with names of
> representative leftists who possess this inability to appreciate positive
> aspects of American political culture. About whom could he make this
> claim? Maybe Ward Churchill, ok. But then again, who has discussed his
> long tortuous treatise that janitors, flight attendants, messengers, etc.
> etc. deserved to die at the WTC/P/P attacks? Nowhere have I seen it
> entertained seriously.

I agree that he was probably referring to Chomsky, Zinn, and their many uncritical admirers. Whether they truly hate America or not may be a worthwhile topic for conversation, but I rather doubt it. I thought the column lacked merit in that it served no useful purpose other than perhaps Alterman's own catharsis; whether the veiled aspersions were valid is a question I'll leave for others to answer. I think you've already done a fairly decent job towards that end.

-- Luke