A shaky bet now?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 29 20:26:14 PST 2001

Max Sawicky wrote:

> Let's review the bidding. The bet was about whether the
> use of military force by the U.S. would deter further
> acts on the 9/11 scale. CC said it could not, I said
> it could. On the whole a good wager on my end, since
> CC would be betting

I don't bet. Probably what I did say was that it was good politics to predict that the criminal u.s. attack on afghanistan would not deter terrorists -- my argument being that (except on trivial locations like maillists) if the prediction was wrong no one would particularly remember anyhow, and if it was right it would pay off handsomely in political advantages.

If you want to call that a bet, it was a 100% sure thing. Those making the prediction would not lose if the prediction was wrong but would win if it was right.

:-)

Carrol