A shaky bet now?

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon Oct 29 21:16:25 PST 2001

CC: > I don't bet. Probably what I did say was that it was good politics to
> predict that the criminal u.s. attack on afghanistan would not deter
> terrorists -- my argument being that (except on trivial locations like
> maillists) if the prediction was wrong no one would particularly
> remember anyhow, and if it was right it would pay off handsomely in
> political advantages.
>
> If you want to call that a bet, it was a 100% sure thing. Those making
> the prediction would not lose if the prediction was wrong but would win
> if it was right. :-) Carrol

In the Age of Google, all of your unsound wagers will be susceptible to instant retrieval.

More seriously, if the prediction is wrong, it makes the peace movement look stupid -- for claiming that something that proved to be successful could not possibly work. Not unlike the immediate aftermath of the Gulf War, when the Bush Administration sandbagged the Democrats by encouraging the myth that Iraq had some huge mean motha of a land army, then smashed it in days.

mbs