Antiwar movement procustean bed

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Oct 29 21:58:45 PST 2001

Thomas Seay wrote:

> --- Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sectarian squabbling may be
> > one of the left's most
> > time-honored traditions, but it constitutes rank
> > self-indulgence in the face
> > of the current challenge.
>
> Carl, I dont know what your background is, but I
> totally disagree with this. The problem in a lot of
> cases (and this dates back to my first political
> involvements as a student during the anti-apartheid
> movement here in the US) these vanguardist groups
> will keep the Principles of Unity at a level that
> allows them to stay in charge of the movement.
> Whenever anybody raises objections, the whining
> vanguard butt-whipes yell, "Sectarian"..

Thomas is right about this. The appeals for "unity" and to "not be sectarian" are authoritarian methods used by sectarian groups who want to squelch internal criticism. This rhetoric was brought out against me by IAC supporters as soon as I started raising concerns about them on the local Mobilization for Global Justice list. They backed down a bit when it became clear that my criticisms had widespread backing and because I cited specific examples of my political and tactical differences.

I'm not going to "unite" and rally behind the WWP anymore than I'm going to rally behind George W. Bush.

Chuck0