Antiwar movement procustean bed

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 30 13:47:32 PST 2001

Nathan wrote:

> >Find enough people w/shared agreement on
>>something constructive and then just do it.
>
>-That makes sense, but the fact of the matter is that those who call
>-for "bringing perpetrators to justice" are not excluded from rallies
>-organized by the WWP-backed coalition (at the S29 rally, I heard many
>-who spoke of it from the podium & among the crowd), so starting a new
>-one by underscoring the theme of "bringing perpetrators to justice"
>-is rather redundant.
>
>It barely matters who speaks at such rallies-- most of the participants
>don't listen much less the media portraying the rally. What folks seem to
>studiously ignore is that rallies are to a large extent media events, yet
>they pretend that control of the images conveyed is irrelevant to the
>message. It is silly to expect people to show up to a rally that will,
>through its staging, convey a message different from what you as an activist
>want conveyed, even if the WWP puts up a token speaker. Who cares?

If there had been only one speaker who spoke of "bringing perpetrators to justice," you'd be correct to call him or her a token, but the rally featured many who spoke of it. As I videotaped the S29 rally & march, I have visual evidence to prove it. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>