Antiwar movement losing steam?????

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Tue Oct 30 06:51:36 PST 2001

> I've been trying to figure out an anarchist response to this dilemma.
> It's not like an anarchist can be logically consistent and call for any
> state to pursue these criminals. It's also hard to argue that, if
> captured, they be tried in a state's court or imprisoned in a state's
> prison.

> Perhaps an anti-statist solution to this dilemma would be to call for an
> international *volunteer* effort to go after OBL. Sort of like the
> Abraham Lincoln Brigades.
>
> Chuck0

This latter bit is amusing, and I suspect Chuck made it in jest. But then again, perhaps not. Would you, Chuck, Anarchist Avenger, load up with supplies and weapons and slog through the caves of Afghanistan, going toe-to-toe with seasoned, brutal fighters? It wouldn't be the same as sitting in the middle of the street and having the cops drag you away. Do you even have military training? Know how to clean a rifle? Are you ready to blow some teenage fanatic's head off? Stick a knife in his neck? Are you ready to die or be tortured?

Like I said, this has to be a joke. Yet, Chuck sees anarchism has some kind of church or Holy Calling: "WWBD" -- What Would Bakunin Do? I mean, do you, as an anarchist, reject welfare to the poor because it comes from the state? I've met "anarchists" who do. What about the state enforcing civil rights laws? What about the state putting violent, racist criminals on trial? Should all this be handled by anarchist posses?

Sadly, we don't live in an anarchist world (we don't even live in a Pokemon world, for if we did, we could call on Charizard or Mankey to take out the evildoers), though there are elements and aspects of the anarchist ideal that do exist in everyday life. But this ongoing thinking that you display here -- "Now how do I see this through anarchist eyes?" -- is really no different than any sectarian you can name. But then, that's beauty of anarchist thought: it covers a wide range of perspectives.

DP