For Coincidence Doubters

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 30 09:45:53 PST 2001

A man in New South Wales, England, who had won nearly $250,000 in the lottery in August and another $300,000 in September, bought another ticket in October and exclaimed -- "I haven't won again, have I?" -- when a co-worker approached him. Yes, he had -- another $1.45 million, in fact.

It may be a strange coincidence that Event A and Event B both occur, but the strangeness of the coincidence is very weak evidence. Lotteries, for example, have now been going on long enough for the most extraordinary and unbelievable coincidences to have occurred quite a few times.

Same with events in politics and war.

The evidence for intention in the double-bombing of the Red Cross warehouse does _not_ lie in the far-fetchedness of the coincidence. Such coincidences are run-of-the-mill, and such unlikely accidents are _bound_ to happen. But the evidence presented in the article that Doug reposted from the WV as to the basic military strategy of the U.S. in respect to air power does suggest that the targeting was deliberate. That article makes it _likely_ that non-military targets will be targeted.

I do wish people would stop babbling about unlikely coincidences.

Carrol