collateral damage

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Oct 30 13:06:41 PST 2001

Since even the US military must realize that bombing the Taliban from the tenth century back to the ninth century is silly, you have to wonder what is the purpose of the bombing.

I would submit, the purpose of the bombing campaign is to destroy civilian targets such as food supplies, housing, communications and transport and that any collateral damage of explicit military targets is considered an accidental bonus. I would also suggest one purpose of the so-called humanitarian aid packages was to accustom civilians and the military to consider yellow packages harmless---a fatal mistake since cluster bombs are yellow. The best of these psychological warfare tactics (in Vietnam) used little oddly shaped wedges and stars to attract the curious, principally children who picked them up and blew off there hands and faces. The military objective in this example is to jam up the primitive medical system with injured children and inhibit its treatment of military personnel.

Chuck Grimes