collateral damage

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 30 14:19:50 PST 2001

>Since even the US military must realize that bombing the Taliban from
>the tenth century back to the ninth century is silly, you have to
>wonder what is the purpose of the bombing.
>
>I would submit, the purpose of the bombing campaign is to destroy
>civilian targets such as food supplies, housing, communications and
>transport and that any collateral damage of explicit military targets
>is considered an accidental bonus. I would also suggest one purpose of
>the so-called humanitarian aid packages was to accustom civilians and
>the military to consider yellow packages harmless---a fatal mistake
>since cluster bombs are yellow. The best of these psychological
>warfare tactics (in Vietnam) used little oddly shaped wedges and stars
>to attract the curious, principally children who picked them up and blew
>off there hands and faces. The military objective in this example is
>to jam up the primitive medical system with injured children and
>inhibit its treatment of military personnel.
>
>Chuck Grimes

Furthermore, such dangerous civilian targets as Red-Cross warehouses are to be bombed at least twice, so everyone will get the point. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>