Fight Anti-Terrorism Measures! Re: Antiwar movement procustean bed

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 30 18:39:42 PST 2001

>Michael Pugliese wrote:
>
>>Ohio vs. Washington, D.C.?
>>http://www.internationalanswer.org/news.html
>>Streaming Video: CSPAN - 'Rally Against War & Racism' (Sept. 29, 2001)
>>Listen to speeches from Freedom Plaza rally (RealPlayer required)
>>Streaming Video: CSPAN - 'Washington Journal' (Sept. 29, 2001
>>Interview with Brian Becker of Interrnational A.N.S.W.E.R. (RealPlayer
>>required)
>
>Or maybe it's WWP/IAC/ANSWER vs. everyone else.
>
>Doug

I videotaped the S29 rally & march in D.C., not in Columbus. In my view, far more people who spoke at the WWP/IAC/ANSWER rally in D.C. mentioned "bringing the perpetrators to justice" than here in Columbus. As you know, our local coalition has only three points of unity: oppose the war; fight racism; & defend civil rights & liberties (basically the same as the joint statement that I drafted & circulated immediately after the S11 bombings); "bringing the perpetrators to justice" is not among them.

I'd rather see left-wingers spend more time & energy fighting anti-terrorism measures taken by the U.S. government that violate civil rights & liberties than criticizing the WWP/IAC/ANSWER. Leftists calling on the U.S. government to "bring the perpetrators to justice," I believe, will likely make it easier for it to destroy civil rights & liberties and increase police powers. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>