Hydrocarbons and a New Strategic Region: The Caspian Sea and Central Asia (and Al Saud)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 13:12:03 PST 2001

Hakki, you needn't be so sensitive. I was asking questions and so not asserting anything. I may not have noticed that excerpt

> No. The excerpt answers your question, but you chose
> to ignore the rest of
> it:

Why so sensitive? I did not choose to ignore it...Maybe I did not see it...a lot of your statements were buried within the quotes.

> || I got the idea that the US didn't really look
> into
> || these things and certainly the Taliban while
> || prohibiting domestic use of drugs actually
> encouraged
> || poppy farmers to export.
>
> Where did you get this fantastic idea? The poppy
> fields are gone. Only the
> hoods of the Northern Alliance are still growing and
> selling the stuff.

I got this impression from the Rashid book. I dont have my book with me right now so I cant quote the section. Anyway, once again, you needn't be so sensitive. It should be apparent from my email that I was asking a bunch of questions and was not asserting anything. I totally admit I am a "beginner" when it comes to Afghanistan.

> || It seems to me that the US was not at all
> interested
> || in
> || curbing the Taliban at all until the US feminist
> || movement put pressure on to criticize the
> Taliban.
> || Before that, the US was just focused on getting
> || pipelines through Afghanistan.
>
> Right, feminists put the fear of god in the State
> Department, how did I
> overlook this?

Again, Hakki, you seem to want to fight. I am only relaying the information from the Rashid book. Of course, the bombing of the embassies was the final straw, but from Rashid's book, it seems like the major pressure from feminist groups played a major part in the US govt starting to maintain distance from the Taliban. Now if you dont agree with this, state your reasons.

> Try reading my posts. The Turkey route is
> economically insignificant. I
> know, I live there.

I will admit that I only read your last post, so I may have missed a lot. You only need to point that out...there is no need to be so confrontational on this point. Do you answer why it is so insignificant?

It appeared to me, again from the Rashid book, that the problem with the Turkish route is that it would be expensive and that it ran through the Kurdish region, which was deemed as unstable.

-Thomas

Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx