India: Towars the Moon Mission

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Sep 1 19:41:57 PDT 2001

Monday 2 July 2001

Reaching for the Moon MUMBAI: Will George Joseph put India into lunar orbit? He is responsible for India's moon mission, as head of the newly constituted lunar task force set up by ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation). He was formerly head of ISRO's Ahmedabad-based Space Application Centre. An expert in remote sensing applications, Joseph is convinced that we must embark on the Rs 350-crore trip to the moon to boost our scientific capabilities. He spoke to Srinivas Laxman: Why is India embarking on an unmanned mission to the moon? The basic purpose of launching a lunar project is to study the origins of the moon. Since India already has proven satellite and rocket capabilities, a moon mission will yield useful scientific data. For instance, the issue of whether there's water on the moon is still an unresolved subject. After the Soviet Luna-2 became the first spacecraft to land on the moon's surface in 1959, the moon has become an object of scientific research worldwide. Some people feel that the moon mission is merely to display India's capabilities and that it will be devoid of any strong scientific content. I disagree. Let me assure you that we are not launching this project merely for the sake of doing it, or to claim an advantage over other developing nations. Nor are we doing this just to display our capabilities. Far from it. We will be using our capabilities to embark on a truly scientific mission. Some top aerospace scientists like H S Mukanda of the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, have opposed the moon project, saying that it will not contribute to our technological capabilities. I hold Mr Mukanda in great respect. But if you study the history of science and technology you will notice that it takes time for the results of any scientific mission to have an impact on society. I think it is a narrow view if one only looks for immediate benefits. If one talked of instant advantages of any scientific project, then Dr Homi Bhabha could not have started the atomic energy establishment. Remember, it took some time to develop the technology of remote sensing and now the common man has greatly benefited from it. So, I am confident that the moon mission will one day help in the development of our society. In India, many villages still do not have drinking water facilities. How will a lunar mission help such backward areas? As I said earlier, any major technological mission like the moon project will one day help society. A project relating to the moon will undoubtedly help in the process of national development and that is why I feel the mission to the moon is very important. The father of India's space programme, Vikram Sarabhai, had said: ``India does not have the fantasy of competing with economically advanced nations in the exploration of the moon or planets.'' Don't you think that the lunar project is somewhat contrary to his vision? I think his statement was relevant during the period when he made it. But, please remember Sarabhai also said at the same time that India should be second to none in the application of advanced technologies to tackle the problems of our society. He had always emphasised that any scientific project must be application-driven and its thrust should be on national development. It is in this context that India's moon project is important because it will help in the cause of national growth. Right now we do not have any fancy plans of making manned flights to the moon. I may add here that planetary explorations have led to developments in the areas of remote sensing and robotics, to name just a few. Let me repeat that by going to the moon there will be a lot of benefits which will help the people of this country. So, let's just embark on the mission. What will be the disadvantages if India does not embark on a mission to the moon? The answer is very simple. By not going to the moon India will be left behind in the global scientific race. There are a number of nations which are planning unmanned scientific missions to the moon. Fifty years ago, no one ever forecast that humanity would land on the surface of the moon. I feel that 50 years from now, there is every chance of human beings colonising the lunar surface. A country like ours should not regret years later that it was not a part of this important programme. We entered the nuclear club very late, but this should not happen in the case of the moon club. Strategically and economically, the moon is very important. By going to the moon, India will have its voice heard globally just as it has happened after the nuclear weapons tests at Pokhran in May 1998. The moon mission will impact our society at a later stage. Remember, India is an emerging global power and it should display to the world its technological capabilities which will yield useful scientific information. We just cannot afford to lose out. As a motivator, such a mission will undoubtedly work wonders for the country. Has the moon mission triggered enthusiasm among our scientists? Yes, it has. Most of them are very excited about it because they feel a mission of this sort will help scientifically, as well as boost the country's image. Several scientific groups are currently working on the mission and some of them are attached to the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research at Mumbai and the Indian Institute of Astrophysics at Bangalore. A number of presentations have already been made about the moon project. Our universities too are involved in the programme and they are expected to submit their reports soon. Once the government gives the go-ahead, how long will it take to actually launch the mission? The current plan envisages ISRO's Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV), which is a well proven rocket, carrying the orbiter to the moon. The PSLV needs to be slightly modified so that it can accommodate additional fuel for the nearly 3,84,470 kilometres, five-day journey to the moon. The use of an orbiter will be inexpensive and is a practical option. But, it has to be specially designed to fly around the moon. According to the current scenario, the orbiter will fly at a height of nearly 100 kilometres above the lunar surface and collect data through its hi-tech cameras and other equipment. We have already established the basic capabilities. Once the government gives the go-ahead I see no reason why we cannot launch the mission within five years.

For reprint rights:Times Syndication Service