make-work (was Re: pre-Keynesian)

Lawrence lawrence at krubner.com
Sun Sep 2 23:30:35 PDT 2001

From: "Gordon Fitch" <gcf at panix.com>
> a very large proportion of workers gain a sense of
> "identity" from their jobs which is as important, or maybe
> more important, than the money they get. I thought this was
> a very sad thing -- something like an old dog who is afraid
> to go out the door without leash and collar firmly attached
> and the master at hand. Think of it -- the sense of identity
> and self-worth of millions of people in the hands of an elite
> who have absolutely no use for them but the extraction of
> value.

Freud said only two things were necessary to achieve happiness: love and work. From what I've seen, this is true. Few people are happy without love, but no one can live on love alone. I've been lucky in that I've known what I wanted to do since I was young, but I have a number of friends who can't figure out what they want to do with their lives and the uncertainty is making them deeply unhappy. I think it is impossible to have happiness or feel much positive self worth if you have no vocation.