China and Free Trade

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 4 07:47:14 PDT 2001

> While the job losses are awful news for the workers
> involved, these
> are extremely small numbers - 0.1% of U.S.
> employment, and a fraction
> of the 385,000 net new jobs created over the period.
> The conclusions
> drawn from them seem a bit overheated.
>
> Doug

Yeah Doug, what's strange, and it doesn't necessarily mean that the research is necessarilly bad, but the study was funded by, I believe the "US China Security Review Commission" Sounds like one of those anti-China groups.

Even if those numbers of job losses in the US were large, would that necessarily be a bad thing that other countries get the jobs? I don't feel very comfortable when people who argue against free trade do so in such chauvanistic garb like that study, but I find it interesting that the USCSRC, if they are indeed knee jerk China bashers (which I don't know too much about this org), it is funny that they would attack the free trade mantra as well to do so.

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com